In a Hadith Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is reported to have said:
Search for Halal (i.e. food) is also Fardh (obligatory) along with other Fardh things from Allah. (Mishkat Sharif)
Here are a few important verses from the Holy Quran that very clearly state the importance of Halal diet.
- O Mankind ! Eat the lawful (Halal) and good things from what is in the earth, and follow not the footsteps of the devil. Surely he is an open enemy to you. (2: 168)
- O believers ! Eat of the good things that We have provided you with and give thanks to Allah. (2: 172)
- He has forbidden you what dies of itself (carrion), and blood, and the flesh of swine and that over which any name other than (that of) Allah has been invoked. (2: 173)
- And eat of the lawful (Halaal) and good things that Allah has given you and keep your duty to Allah. (5: 88)
- O believers ! Intoxicants, and game of chance, and idolatrous practices and divining (of the future through) arrows are abominations devised by the Satan. Shun it then !, so that you may prosper. (5: 90)
Our beloved Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) has taught us to be very careful about our food in terms of Halal and Haram. His sayings indicate that Haram food makes our Faith terminally damaged and our soul extremely weak. Here are a selection of meanings and extracts of his sayings:
- A person after travelling a long distance, with dispersed hairs and covered with dust, raises his hands for the prayer and says O Allah !, O Allah! But his food is Haram, his drink is Haram and his dress is Haram. So how can his prayer be accepted by Allah ? (Mishkat Sharif)
Note : It means that without Halal food our Duas are not accepted at all.
- Sadaqah (charity) from Haram wealth is not accepted by Allah, and there is no Barakah (Blessing of Allah) in such things and the Haram wealth will take one to Hell. (Imam Ahmed)
- Those persons whose bodies are nourished with Haram food will not enter paradise. (Mishkat Sharif)
- When Haram is mixed with Halaal, it ruins the Halal as well. (Mishkat Sharif)
- Salah (Ritual Prayers) of a person with Haram clothes is not accepted by Allah. (Mishkat Sharif)
- One who drinks alcohol (e.g. Wine, Beer etc.), Allah does not accept that persons Salah for forty days. (Tirmidhi)
Note: Muslim scholars say that whether a person takes alcohol directly or indirectly with other edible things in the form of an ingredient, his/her Salah is barred from acceptance for 40 days in the light of this Hadith.